The office of the City Clerk is dedicated to serving the residents of Wasco and the City Council by facilitating transparency, openness, fairness, and community participation, while professionally managing the requirements for record keeping and elections.
The City Clerk serves as the liaison between the public and City Council, who provides related municipal services. The City Clerk is elected to a four-year term.
Maria O. Martinez
746 8th St, Wasco, CA
Phone: (661) 758-7214
Fax: (661) 758-5411
Responsibilities of the City Clerk (but not limited to):
• Serves as Clerk of the Council
• Records and maintains City Council meeting proceedings
• Preserves official City records (ex. Ordinances, Resolutions, and, or, Agreements)
• Attest, publish and/or post ordinances and resolutions
• Ensures transparency in the official roles of the Office
• Administer Oath of Office
• Maintains a list of appointments (Maddy Act)
• Conducting the City’s elections – Local Official for elections
• Assembles and prepares agendas
• Serving as a support office to the City Council and City staff
• Conducting City boards and commissions recruitments
• Processes claims and lawsuits
• Performs administrative task to ensure compliance with various state & local codes.
• Ensuring compliance with the Political Reform Act (Financial Disclosure & Ethics), The Ralph M. Brown Act (Open Meetings) and Californian Public Records Act (Open Records)
• Accepts subpoenas
SB 272, Hertzberg
The California Public Records Act: local agencies: inventory Senate Bill 272 requires each local agency, in implementing the California Public Records Act, to create a catalog of enterprise systems, to make the catalog publicly available upon request in the office of the person or officer designated by the agency’s legislative body, and to post the catalog on the local agency’s internet website. Below is a link to the City of Wasco’s enterprise systems pursuant to California Government Code Section 6270.5